Thursday, January 24, 2008

The day is half over



It's sleepy in Hamilton. This is where I grew up and it's funny how time stands still here. The cicadas are so loud, they drown out the easy listening radio hits blaring from the neighbour's window. Almost anyway.

There are a lot of cats skulking round the house, murdering birds, lazing in the sun.

I spent yesterday cruising around in the car, superheated by the midday sun. Driving over the languid deep green Waikato river. Memories of swimming off it's banks when I was a teenager. Riverweed in my hair. Hungover.

Hamilton is affectionately nicknamed "Hamiltron, City of the Future", because of a funny old petition by a student radio station to change the name of the city. It feels like the city of my past now. But it is where my family live so it will always be the place I return to. To visit. To holiday. To be lazy.
Hamilton is like your favourite old PJ's. Really comfy but you don't want anyone to see you in them.

1 comment:

Daniel J Nagels said...

Hamilton is so like you old PJs.. nice quote.