Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hoi An and Hue

s




After a sad goodbye to Jungle Beach (our fav place in Vietnam) we boarded the Night Bus From Hell (actually Hoi An). We stupidly booked ourselves in for a 12 hours overnight bus ride but didn't book a sleeper bus. 12 extremely uncomfortable hours later- we arrived in Hoi An and bumped into our friends from Jungle Beach- Ann and Shane who looked pretty fresh and clean compared to us as they had taken the overnight sleeper train.
Hoi An is the tailor capital of the world and I promptly kicked it off by putting in some orders that very night. There are 100's of tailors in Hoi An and it's all a bit overwhelming- especially when you've been living in one pair of shorts and 3 t-shirts for 3 months.
I think I was even having nightmares about fabric choices at one stage... cashmere or linen?
It kinda did my head in. But Toby got a me a dressing gown for my birthday embroidered with what would be my pro-boxing name- if I ever took up the sport!
To relieve the stress, we met up with Ann and Shane, an Irish couple who we first met in Dalat, and were travelling north through Vietnam like us. They were good fun and led us to the King Kong bar one night which served free rum during happy hour. This led to some piratey plans being laid and a nasty hangover the next day.
One day later we hit Hue- the imperial capital of Vietnam. And somehow the Irish and Toby convinced me to come on a day tour of the DMZ- the demilatarised zone where large chunks of the Vietnam War (called the American War here) was fought. It was 12 hours on a bus. It rained. It was very, very average.
The citadel in Hue was cool..very Imperial. Did some pretty walks about- saw some greedy fish.
But we jumped on the sleeper bus to Hanoi pretty quickly....I was keen to leave the memories of that DMZ tour far behind.

No comments: